Table of Contents
Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
Thanks to Santa Barbara’s year-round mild weather, backyard barbecues aren’t just for Summer months. Whether it’s July or November, Santa Barbarians are always looking for the opportunity to BBQs with friends, toss a ball with the kids, or relax in the sun with a good book. But … it may be time to refresh your yard first. Here are a few low-cost Saturday projects that can help you give your yard a quick facelift.
7 ways to get the most out of your backyard
- Build or buy a storage shed to keep kids’ toys out of sight when not in use.
- Reposition your furniture and accessories to create defined cooking, eating, lounging, and play areas. You can even add a colorful outdoor rug to add warmth to your “party” area.
- Pour quarter-inch crushed rock (available in a variety of colors) to create defined pathways through your yard.
- Brighten your concrete patio by painting it with a masonry stain (try warm honey or deep brown). For a more labor-intensive option, lay slate tiles over the concrete with a thin-set mortar (like VersaBond).
- Add lanterns or candles to your patio for evening parties.
- Plant drought-tolerant foliage to fill patches of dirt. Kochia Scoparia grass is hardy and germinate quickly. It starts out green and turn red once the weather turns colder.
- Line your garden with rope lighting for night-time mood lighting.